Many of us are using the same parenting techniques that our parents used on us. How’s that working for you?
“Being a parent takes skill. You can learn, practice, and improve your parenting skills. You can learn to:
1. Treat your teen-yourself-with respect.
2. Understand the goals of misbehavior.
3. Become skilled at encouraging your teen.
4. Listen to your teen’s feelings.
5. Express your own feelings so your teen is more willing to listen to you.
6. Encourage your teen to make decisions and learn from them.
7. Discipline in positive, effective ways”.
Parenting Teenagers by Don Dinkmeyer Jr. is an excellent book for learning how to parent your teen. He has also written books for parenting young children; birth to 6 years and one for ages 6-12 years old. They are all excellent!
If you think you are ready to take an honest look at your parenting style, if you want to learn more effective ways of parenting and receive support as you implement the changes, please feel free to call and schedule a consultation so that we may take a look at your unique family system.
1. Schedule a family meeting once a week. Make sure everyone gets a chance to speak without interruption.