The concept of marriage has changed because people now live until 100! Your marriage may last for 75 years! Won’t you get bored?
5 Way to be a Successful Monogamist
1. Maintain intimate conversations about yourself and life in general
2. Remain physically intimate and try new things. Communicate about your sex life.
3. Fill your own life with things that make you feel happy and excited
4. Go out into the world together and see and do new things (get out of the house and off the couch)
5. Understand and appreciate that true love is a lifelong friendship. You’ll be there to care for one another in the end
6. Be there for one another through everything
Monogamy doesn’t have to be monotonous. Relationships need “tune-ups” from time to time and that makes sense.
If you’re feeling like you’re disengaged to some degree from you partner you both could benefit from a few sessions of couple’s counseling to get you back on track.
Ilissa Banhazl, marriage and family therapy, Glendora, CA (626) 335-0903