So you know who you are and you’ve decided its time to come out and tell your family that you are a Lesbian. Good for you! They already may suspect yet you haven’t had that open conversation yet.
Here’s how to do it:
1. Tell your family that everything is fine but you need to talk to them about something that is very important to you.
2. If you’re an adult arrange to meet in a comfortable place, perhaps your home or theirs.
3. Share your truth confidently with kindness since this may be a new concept for your family to take in.
4. Ask for their support and love, as this is very important to you.
* If your family behaves in a negative way; let them know that you are sorry that they feel this way but if they are going to maintain a relationship with you they need to respect your choices and be supportive.
5. Consider bringing them with you to counseling so they can share their thoughts and feelings in a confidential and respectful manner.