I receive calls from either one in the couplehood inquiring about couple’s therapy. What will it be like they wonder…
Here’s exactly how couple’s counseling works:
1. First, I will invite you both to attend a session or two together.
2. When we meet I will ask you each take a turn describing why you have come now to counseling and what you hope to accomplish.
3. You may choose to share one or two issues and I will teach you how you can be more effective in your discussions.
4. I will send you home with new skills such as communicating by using “I statements”. For example, I feel______ when you_______ and I need for you to_______. You can practice using this technique throughout the week. Fill in the blanks now and see what comes up for you.
5. When you return we can discuss your successes and obstacles from the prior week and work together to resolve any old or new issues or concerns.
6. In the third session, I will invite one of you to come in by yourself to share about yourself, your situation and your hopes and concerns.
7. In the fourth session, I will invite the other person to come in for an individual session for the same reason. Of course this timeline will vary because every couple is unique.
8. Unless there is a reason to meet individually, you will return to your couple session together the following week.
9. From then on we will meet as a couple but individual sessions are possible when needed. Everyone is to feel included and supported.
10. Couples meet weekly, every other week or monthly. We will create your own individuated treatment plan.